Sunday, January 5, 2014

Wow...

So it looks like  I may not be a very good blogger in the long run. I totally forget about even having a blog for months!
I will probably have to spend the next couple of posts going over 2013 and my journey with the three "ponies." I figure that even if no one else ever sees this blog, at least I will have something to look back on. =]

So my goals were pretty simple for 2013. Get Java more comfortable with new things, work with Pepsi as often as possible, and let Addie sit and rest. I also was trying for a job (a horse job!) and was focusing on trying to make that work. I really wanted to get the job.
I of course did have a ton of goals for each of the horse, but none so much as Java. He had pretty bad feet when we bought him in September of 2012, and we were still working on getting them set right. Thankfully after a couple of trims he was looking, and I am sure feeling, much better! I also wanted to get him started under saddle. My ultimate goals with him is to do some jumping and dressage, but it has yet to be determined if he will enjoy this. He is my little (big in his opinion) project.
He is a tough pony. He has a ton of energy (WAY more than my thoroughbred!) and he can be a spooky thing too. We worked a lot on desensitizing and laughed a lot on what he thinks is scary. Bags, tarp, whips? No big deal! That leaf blowing the wrong way? Horse eating monster right there! So getting him fully desensitized is still a work in progress.
But really 2013 was a good year for Java and I as a new team. Especially considering my time constraints! He is now going walk, trot and canter under saddle, with some calvaletti and lateral work. There is still a long way to go but it is a start!
 He has turned into quite the handsome fellow as well. He just needed lots of TLC.



Addie did spend her year doing just as I had planned for her... doing absolutely nothing but being a horse. She is my money vaccuum that I love with all my heart. Thankfully the time off has been great for her and she is once again SOUND. Although she will never again be a dressage horse or jumper I do hope to get her back to some sort of work eventually. I don't really care if she can only walk around the pasture, she will stay here forever either way.


Pepsi has just been awesome this year. We have been on a few trail rides, went to a clinic, and just plain had fun together. She is such a cute little mare. She has also done well in giving my sister more confidence in riding. My sister will even canter on her now, which was a terrifying thing on any other horse! That alone makes Pepsi worth the money that I spent on her. =]


I really hope that I get into a blogging routine. I am not the best writer but I feel like I could enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment